[stylist] New THOUGHT PROVOKER #151- The Braille Princess

Pat Harmon pharmon222 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 16 05:09:57 UTC 2009

The fact that Braille is reading and writing can never, ever be overlooked
by touchy pictures, wild straw drawings, noodle art or colorful paint globs.
BRAILLE IS READING.  It is not always read by a cute little boy or girl on
grade level in public schools who happens to have diligent parents.  No
matter what, BRAILLE IS READING.  At its basic level, it is language.

If we believe blindness is a simple characteristic present in an individual
the way curly hair is, we must not call too much attention to the touch
technique required for finger reading.  Demands for reading and writing must
resemble those of the demands for students using print.  We long to have our
blind children included in classes, not set apart because he or she happens
to be cute and "sort of" smart.  Inclusion must mean inclusion.  Braille
must be reading and writing!

Braille literacy is beautiful without drawings and photographs to appeal to
the eye.  We can add them for fun, but Braille is at its best plain and
basic.

(When I deliver speeches or programs to groups, I tell my life story as
"Princess-want-to-be" because I always believed my life was supposed to be
luxurious and problem-free.  Wrong!)