[stylist] learning braille

The Crowd the_crowd at cox.net
Tue Nov 17 15:59:06 UTC 2009

I am so glad you changed the subject line Judith. I erase mails with
subject-lines I don't read.
braille is a passion for me. I went from being literate to being illiterate
to being literate again as many people who have learned braille as a second
literacy, have. I want to learn to read Spanish in braille as well.
I think every person who goes blind should be taught braille. Everyone who
cannot read print comfortably and easily should.
I get the New York Times and Science News in braille and read them all. I
loved having Asimov Science fiction in braille but they discontinued it a
long time ago.
I wonder if they have made the braille translation a real job choice yet. I
did see that Texas has a training course you can take online.
I'll check if there is an NFB mailing list for transcribers.
I stopped being able to read print around 8 years old and went blind two
years later. That's a long time to a little kid, in school age. I went from
school to school as well which made it harder.
At ten years old I went to a school for the blind and it was wonderful! We
stayed all week and we learned our blind skills early. We had to learn
braille and how to type at young ages. My biology teacher, his name was MR
Haywood, he took us out in the world and showed us the dried husk of locus,
bark from different trees. How to identify things. The shapes of flowers and
leaves.
My 6 grade teacher MRS Eshin, I probably spelled that wrong, she took us to
her house, a farm, and we butchered a chicken plucked it cleaned it cooked
it and age it.
It was extraordinary teaching. It's survival in a very changeable world.
Then I went to public school in high school. So I did it all really, but the
biggest change came when I learned to read again. I was in fourth grade and
I remember, so clearly, feeling my hand over the dots thinking, what does
this say! I have to know!
A kid sitting behind me, his name is Verlyn, he said "Don't worry, you'll
learn it, it's cool." And I did. Fast as I could!
At our white cane banquet I learned that back in those days the literacy
rate was incredible compared to now.
The world is full of smart people and in order to be smart, we need to be
literate. If it means the sixty year old man just going blind or a 3 year
old feeling the dots on her blocks. It has to happen!
It takes paper, so we'll recycle. It takes dedication, so we will not
relent. It's us, people. We're it. We lead the world.

Atty