[stylist] reading lips

helene ryles dreamavdb at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 18 20:34:23 UTC 2009

Judith,
I'm sorry to doupt you but what you are saying is NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE.

A profoundly deaf person couldn't manage just with lipreading and have
a happy fullfilling life. For a completely deaf person it really isn't
possible. You are asking me to believe that your friend daughter leads
a good life from a method that only allows her 20 percent of what is
being said. Next you will be asking me to believe that a person who
cannot see at all is happily managing with the printed word.

I'm deaf myself. I know a lot of deaf people. Some who read lips, some
who sign. All the people I know that can read lips do have some
hearing although some not very much and have to rely on guesswork. I'm
talking about profoundly deaf people here. They may use that system
but it's not that easy for them. Even thought they may apear
successful with it.

 For a totally deaf person I only know about one crediable source who
used lipreading in conjunction with a system called tactalating where
he felt people's throats to feel the vibrations. It gave him some much
needed clues. He was hearing for the first 7 years of his life though.
Although he says he manages with tactilating and lipreading, he
probably has to do a lot of guessing too.

I'm sorry if I come accross as rude. I don't mean to doubt the
severity of your friends loss but what you are saying is not
physically possible.

Helene

Helene