[stylist] Fantasy and the conservative reader?

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Mon Oct 5 13:25:20 UTC 2009

Helene, I rather like fantasy.  I enjoyed Harry Potter as an entertainment
form.  Conservatives aren't straight laced folks who don't know how to
laugh.  One might think we never find anything to laugh about.  Not true.
However, we stand for things that aren't laughing matters.
Now for your novel.
You are trying to do a lot with your plot, your characterization and the
message  you are sending to your reader.  The message that deaf blind people
are really people with the same needs and wants as those without these
impairments is getting lost in your gray skinned characters who have loving
dinasours as pets.  Helene, this is going to sound harsh, and perhaps it is.
Either your characters are handicapped and their message has to get out or
they represent fantasy characters with all kinds of make believe features.
Helene, think long and hard about your book.  I'm afraid your choice right
now is either or.   Judith