[stylist] A deafbling girl (chapter 2)

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Sun Sep 6 04:12:22 UTC 2009

Helene,
I was thinking about your book during my long walk with my dog this
afternoon.

I like your writing, it is engaging and vivid.  in fact, sometimes it
seems likt it could use a little scene and landscape just to pace it
a little, it moves so flat-out.  but that's not such a bad thing.

my major comment is this: "a defblind girl" as a title?  I also like
shorter titles.  but perhaps a title more tied to the magic, or the
emotional struggles in the story would fit better and would better
identify your story.

I do not like long titles like: "Upon the upside of the towering rock
in the town square, or: how I lost my sense of innocence and became
an adult in the 20th century upon my 21st birthday in an accident ..."
I was required to make my masters thesis title far clugier than I
wanted.  I think its maybe fourteen words long!

anyway, keep the simplicity of the title, but perhaps closer to the
characters or the story?

reads very well Helene!

oh, I think "snuck" might be better in that one place than "sneaked."
jc
Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS