[stylist] DBG (chapter 4)

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Mon Sep 7 20:31:42 UTC 2009

Thanks.   I hadn't heard of cued speech before.
I read a book by the parent of a deaf child who met another family with a
deaf child.   The first parent had tried oralism to no avail, and was
astonished when she saw the child of the second family making a joke in sign.   She
immediately started using sign with her daughter, and the girl devoured the
language and begged for more.   So I would not be an oralist.   I believe
in deaf people learning sign and lip reading if possible, but sign first.
And I believe in blind people learning braille and mobility.   I don't
understand people who say about their children, "Are you trying to make her
blind?"   Either she is or she isn't, and no matter what the parent does, it won't
change the physical fact.

I'm enjoying your story, though I was disappointed that we saw no more of
the woman (?) who was 3 feet 7 inches who rescued the child in the first
place.   Or do we?   She seemed the most interesting of the characters to me.
Lori