[stylist] DBG (chapter 4)

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Mon Sep 7 20:37:18 UTC 2009

Okay.   I'll do it with a few examples, though not from your story.
You'll just have to apply the principle.

"Hi," Mary said.   "How have you been?"
"I'm fine," replied Joe.   "Where were you all last week?   I looked for
you."

Note:   I've sometimes seen the Brits reverse the position of comma and
quotes, and you'll have to talk with other British writers to get the details.
 But figure that when you write a sentence that someone says inside of
quotation marks, that sentence gets the same punctuation treatment as any
sentence outside of it.   Now in the above example, the comma after "Hi" means
that the words Mary said are part of the sentence.   If you were to write it
this way:   Mary waved.   "Hi." --you have two sentences, and there is a
period between the word hi, and the quote marks.
With a question put the question mark between the sentence and the quotes.
Lori