[stylist] Oralism?

helene ryles dreamavdb at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 7 20:56:52 UTC 2009

Hi Angela,
Oralism is the system where the deaf are taught speech exclusively. As
aposed to allowing the Deaf to use sign language which is much easier
for them.
John Lee Clark, who used to post here is raised in a signing
environment. His english is better then mine. I was raised orally.
Signing would have helped me learn better, but any visual clues such
as signed supported english or Cued speech would have helped rather
then just having to rely on what was written down. I'm lucky my
written english didn't suffer more then it did and I was able to learn
things that way.
Oralism goes a long way and I feel it has done a lot of damage to deaf
education.

Helene