[stylist] barb's sci-fi thinking

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Tue Sep 15 20:38:15 UTC 2009

Jim, stop please! Your scaring me! Lol.

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of James Canaday M.A. N6YR
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:31 PM
To: Writer's Division Mailing List
Subject: [stylist] barb's sci-fi thinking

Dear Barb and friends,
talking with you about telling oneself a story to fall asleep set me to
thinking, a very dangerous thing.  you were talking about star trek.  some
of the computer facilities in the original series, I remembered too.

what if this were invented: a device, maybe call it "the author's own hand"
and it writes as you think.  you tell yourself the story, you include the
imagery, the dialogue, and as you thinkit, it is exactly recorded by this
device.  the device might have a few parts: a cap you put on your head; a
box or computer cpu type unit that receives and translates the E.E.G.
signals, translating them into the story as you think it.  then of course
the system would have a printer, or braille embosser and a monitor for the
visually impaired.

imagine someone has that, using it, gets quite used to it.

trouble is, it just records everything as the author's mind goes.

I thought of several potential plot twists: perhaps author forgets he or she
is connected, does a few things, then moves to plotting a crime.  plotting
that crime is entirely recorded just as if it were a story.

or, if the cap is wireless, Barb you like romance, and she forgets to take
it off, and her husband comes home from a long trip and well ...
um, they're awfully glad to see each other.

or, maybe the author forgets the cap is on, and in his or her day job is an
analyst for the CIA.  and the mind just returns to top secret material,
processes it.  but the author doesn't realize its been recorded.

I also could imagine in a sci-fi way that the cpu/box  programming might
have a problem and start feeding back to the author.  so, the author's
actual  life might start to resemble a story creation.

like I said, that comment from Barb  started me thinking.  what if I'd been
wearing the cap?  oh gee, you'd have several pages to wade through, probably
get bored and delete the message after twenty or thirty lines!
lol
jc
Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS