[stylist] need inspiration

Shelley J. Alongi qobells at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 21 02:31:08 UTC 2009

HI Allison, This is a nice story about someone's journey through music and
how she gave up something she thought was so important because of the
attitude of the director. I've never encountered a director like that in my
choir experiences, but I'm sure there is something similar out there. It
might be because I've been working on improving the flow of my own writing
that I notice a few things that stuck out like sore thumbs, at least for me.
These are classic things that your instructor will probably point out, and
those are the use of "and" and "so" and 'but" at the beginning of sentences,
as well as other prepositions, and also in some cases the confusion of
tenses within paragraphs. Some of the things that would make the story in it
current form seem even stronger include the elimination of the "and" from
the beginning of sentences, something that's easy to overlook. The words
"and" and "so" stand out to me in two readings. If you can eliminate those
and make those sentences stronger you will have a much stronger reading
story. the classic advice holds here, too, and that is to show the story by
telling it with sentences in the active voice. there is one sentence at the
end that is a little confusing. It reads: She never had prestigious
opportunities, but she never didn't want them anymore. Are you trying to say
that she didn't want the opportunities anymore or that just because she gave
up Carnegie hall didn't mean she gave up wanting prestigious opportunities?
The impression I got was that just because she gave up the performance at
Carnegie Hall didn't mean she never wanted prestigious opportunities
anymore. It's a story with a great message: sometimes the removal of the joy
from an experience isn't worth the prestitious event. Your story illustrates
the flourishing of the independent spirit.
Shelley J. Alongi
Home Office: (714)869-3207
**
NFBWD "Slate and Style" editor
http://www.nfb-writers-division.org

**
To read essays on my journey through the Chatsworth train accident,
Metrolink 111 or other interests click on
http://www.storymania.com/cgibin/sm2/smshowauthorbox.cgi?page=&author=AlongiSJ&alpha=A

updated September 13, 2009