[stylist] Reintroducing Myself

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Apr 4 11:53:05 UTC 2010

Joe

Good for you! You are coming back to your creative side and to us! (Not
saying that writing for employment/work is not a form of creative writing.
Over the past month, I spent all my available creative time and juice to put
together a script for an employment workshop that we here at the Commission
for the blind are going to present to our consumers. This workshop will be
entirely interactive, meaning active learning versus passive learning. In
the past we mostly had speakers, panels and short little technology
demonstration types of presentations. This one is the consumer being
required to work through a series of exercises where in they have to write
down (work literacy is pushed) and discuss their thoughts, understanding
and preparations for how they measure up in all the basics necessary to be
your best when you are looking for employment. I have laid out what we feel
are the main 4 steps in the process to find a job- Are you ready to go to
work (1. Got your blindness and your life in order),
2. Finding openings (knowing what are and how to use the various resources
out here to find where jobs are), 3. making the initial contact (be it a
phone call, a face to face, a resume an application and more), 4. Selling
yourself (all about the interviewing process).

So yeah, I'm working on a couple of books, too. Most of us are. welcome back

Robert Leslie Newman
President NFB Writers' division
Writers' Division Website-
http://www.nfb-writers-division.org