[stylist] Monthly telephone gathering- this coming Sunday

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Apr 23 03:14:25 UTC 2010

RE: This coming Sunday, the 25th of April is the Writers' Division's monthly
gathering (the last Sunday of the month)

--As previously posted- this months gathering will feature two special
events- First, is a opportunity to meet and talk with an editor of an
on-line magazine called "Breath and Shadow." this is a magazine created by
the disabled and seeks disabled authors and pays for submissions. The
editor, Chris Kuell is a member of the NFB Writers' Division and I have
finally lined Chris up to come on a monthly gathering and to specifically
talk to us and to answer our questions about "Breath and Shadow" and about
himself. Chris is a great writer of short stories, and I'm sure of other
forms of writings, too. You can see some of Chris's stories in Slate and
Style; Chris Tooke first place in the 2010 Division writing contest and
second in 2009. immediately below is his bio-

Biography

Chris Kuell is a blind writer and advocate living in Western Connecticut. A
former research chemist, he lost his sight at thirty-five as a result of
diabetic retinopathy. A few years later, he learned how to use a computer
with speech output and turned his efforts to writing. He's had more than two
dozen articles about blindness published, and His fiction has appeared in
Spillway Review, The Sun, Breath and Shadow, Apollo's Lyre, Gambit, Mountain
Echoes, Decomposition, Bewildering Stories, and Dialogue. He was an editor
and contributed to the anthology, Mountain Voices: Illuminating the
Character of West Virginia, as well as having a short story in, Northern
Haunts: Terrifying Tales From New England. He is currently seeking an
agent/publisher for Disconnected, a novel about how Alzheimer's disease
affects a family and tests the bonds of love. He is also hard at work on his
second novel, Rub It In, a novel about a blind massage therapist caught in a
thorny love triangle.

In January of 2008, he took over as Editor in Chief at Breath and Shadow,
the only paying literary journal written and edited exclusively by people
with disabilities.

--Our second feature of the evening is an opportunity for any member to
present, read a short example of their writing. This would be for the
purpose is an opportunity to get some on the spot, constructive feedback.
This was suggested during last months gathering. this can be any type of
writing that you would wish to present.

It has also been suggested, that if we do this again, how about sending the
work out to members prior to the meeting date. Let's talk about it.

--The time for the gathering is- 8:30 PM Eastern; 7:30 PM Central; 6:30 PM
Mountain; 5:30 PM Pacific.

--The phone number to call is- 218-339-4300

--the code is: 568839# (last character is a number sign)

Robert Leslie Newman
President NFB Writers' division
Writers' Division Website-
http://www.nfb-writers-division.org