[stylist] What is allowed or not allowed on NFB lists

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 04:09:56 UTC 2010

What I find interesting is that it seems very few people actually share
their writing on the list.  The debate is almost comical considering people
are running every which way before it even starts raining.  Writing is an
artistic expression, and does art really distinguish age?  A sculpture of a
naked body, for example, is nothing more than a depiction of nature, but it
would appear some here would find its display obscenely offensive.  It's a
matter of perception, I suppose, but art is either free or it is nothing
more than an assignment.  Conforming to specific rules is not an exercise in
creativity.  It is bending to someone else's view of what art ought to be.
I'm sorry that some are opposed to strong language, violence and
descriptions of sex, but if you are completely opposed to the content before
it has even been given a chance to be shared, and if you are opposed to it
even with precautionary warnings, you are living in a protective bubble.
You need not agree with the material to be able to take what works for you
and learn from it to strengthen your own preferred style of writing.  It
almost seems like sharing material here is more trouble than it's worth.

Joe