[stylist] What is allowed or not allowed on NFB lists

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 18:56:07 UTC 2010

Judith,

Point taken.  I am not oblivious to the vulnerabilities of younger
audiences.  Yet, I wish the general description of the list would have
specified the PG nature of the forum.  I do not want people to believe my
writing is of a bloody and crude nature.  I do not purposely seek to gross
people out, but if my character, a troubled youth with violent tendencies,
is to be believable, he needs to express himself in a manner that is
conducive to his persona.  He's going to cuss.  He's going to get into
fights.  I certainly do not want children to imitate this behavior, but
naturally the plot would also consist of anecdotes that ultimately help the
teenager see the errors of his ways.  I am more than happy to share work
that is clean in all respects, but then, does anyone have suggestions on
other online forums where my other work can be reviewed at face value?  As
part of the business I am building I thought of creating a writer's critique
group that would allow for such discussions.  I can move forward with that
project, but I suppose there is also something to be said for not
reinventing the wheel.  This list has a collection of writers from all over
the country, even our neighbors to the north, and I felt it would be an
excellent place to get some tough love about what is working and what is
not.  In the end I wish we could just be clear about the guidelines.
Robert, I thought, had pretty much laid the matter to rest in his
presidential message.  Lori felt otherwise, and now we're going to David
Andrews?  Maybe we just need to put on our authoritative caps and decide one
way or another.  At this rate we're spending more time talking about writing
and spending less time actually writing.  Feedback of this variety does not
count. *grin*

Respectfully,

Joe

database 5057 (20100424) __________