[stylist] What is allowed or not allowed on NFB lists

slery slerythema at insightbb.com
Sun Apr 25 20:36:17 UTC 2010

Joe,

You may wish to try out www.critiquecircle.com it is a wonderful critique
group. You build credits by critiquing other people's works and then you can
have your work critiqued. It is typically about two or three critiques that
you must give before you can request one of your work. There are all genres
and a place for all levels of writing from children's literature to erotica.
Of course, the more graphic material is restricted to more mature audiences
and you have the option of not viewing work that you personally find
offensive.

You must become a member to use the site so that you sign their
confidentiality clause. Basically, you agree that you are not to share or
discuss works outside of the community. No one can guarantee one hundred
percent security but this indicates that your work is not being made public
and is not considered published online. It is a community where you submit
work for edits and helpful feedback. The site also has helpful tools for
working on a novel and helping to keep a private critique group as you post
chapters.

The site also helps with the critiques by providing templates and authors
can ask specific questions that they want looked at in a work.

When using the critique templates, you may need to label a couple of
graphics and or use the JAWS/WE cursor. I haven't posted work lately so I do
not know if they have made any changes in the last eight months. There is a
way to keep the site from refreshing when you are posting your critique. It
refreshes to automatically keep up the word count. When you have your work
up for critique, you can download the file and then open it in Word for
easier viewing. The file does not save as a .doc but you can open it from
within Word.

Since this post is getting long, I will stop there. However, feel free to
ask any questions. I am terrible with my screenreader (still have enough
sight to make my computer work for me without it in many but not all
situations) so my help in that area may be a bit flaky but I will try.

Cindy