[stylist] Critiques and Writing Prompts

Priscilla McKinley priscilla.mckinley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 22:11:46 UTC 2010

On 4/23/10, loristay <loristay at aol.com> wrote:
> Mainly I don't want to see porn or four letter words.  IF the story is about
> war, of course there is violence.
> Lori
> On Apr 22, 2010, at 8:52:02 PM, "Neil Butters" <neil.butters at sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
> From:   "Neil Butters" <neil.butters at sympatico.ca>
> Subject:    Re: [stylist] Critiques and Writing Prompts
> Date:   April 22, 2010 8:52:02 PM EDT
> Hello,
>
> Are Joe and I the only two who think we should be able to post any type of
> writing to the group. A writer's group! I like stories that are "edgy." I
> read horror fiction all the time. What's wrong with that? And what's wrong
> with writing it?
>
> I would like to know what writing you will allow us to post to this list.
>
> Neil
>

> horror fiction all the time. What's wrong with that? And what's wro

>> If you want critiques for this sort of work, make a private agreement
>> with
>> another writer, but don't put it on stylist.
>> Lori
>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 5:54:11 PM, "Joe Orozco" <jsorozco at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> From: "Joe Orozco" <jsorozco at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [stylist] Critiques and Writing Prompts
>> Date: April 22, 2010 5:54:11 PM EDT
>> To: stylist at nfbnet.org
>> How are writing critiques handled here? My writing, if categorized by NLS,
>> would be labeled as containing strong language and violence. If I posted
>> material for critiques, should I post it on my own website, or can it be
>> shared here?
>>
>> Also, has the list ever thought of doing daily writing prompts? Everyone
>> recommends writing at least a thousand words each day just to keep the
>> juices flowing, but unless I'm writing on an active project, I find it
>> difficult to just sit down and write.
>>
>> Thanks for any information,
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves,
>> some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."--Sam Ewing

>> signature
>> database 5051 (20100422) __________

>> http://www.eset.com

>> stylist:
>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/loristay%40aol.com

>> stylist:
>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/neil.butters%40sympatico.ca

> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/loristay%40aol.com

> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/priscilla.mckinley%40gmail.com

I thought that Robert said it was okay to post anything, as long as
the author included a warning if the content might bother some.

I sat through a lot of workshops in my writing program at The
University of Iowa, and I can't imagine that anyone would have had the
nerve to tell someone what they could include in the writing.  Readers
for critiques don't have to like the material; they just need to know
what makes writing strong.

Priscilla