[stylist] Critiques and Writing Prompts- from the Division President

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Apr 23 03:02:50 UTC 2010

Joe and all others-

(Not sure my first post was allowed to go through; here I chose a few
different words)

I as the president of the Division basically take the following stance on
your question, Joe. That is, just as with NLS books and with our movie
industry, we who make content available, we know audiences differ in what
they like and will feel is appropriate for the general market. And so, just
as the movie and Television industry will do, we will ask that a author who
wishes to post their work on STYLIST or Writers' Chat, that if the content
has any violence or other potentially graphic scenes, that you warn the
reader at the top of the message.

and this is not to say, that we now are saying that it is acceptable to
start posting some real racy stuff or super violent stuff. But let's be open
and reasonable. And know that if any one person goes over the acceptable
limits, then they will be respectfully communicated with and asked to modify
what they post and if that person goes over the line three times, --- well,
then I'd start to wonder what is really going on and I would ask that person
not to post their work.

Hey --- and so has the elected leader dude spoken. You all know I try to be
a fairly liberal influence and regulator. And yes, I will listen to all
sides. but you all pay me the big bucks to make something's happen and so we
do need to cover this issue.

thank you all

Robert Leslie Newman
President NFB Writers' division