[stylist] Chapter 0

Neil Butters neil.butters at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 26 17:54:06 UTC 2010

Hi Joe,

I agree with all the comments thus far; I think it's good. I think the
dialogue is fine, but see below. I have a fewe quibbles:

First paragraph: ".sure how they would make contact.  Perhaps a mysterious
letter would one day appear in their mailbox." - Whose mailbox? Christian's?
"They" in the paragraph is referring to the people after Christian, but it
isn't their mailbox.

Same paragraph: "simply appear at the front door bearing news of the type
Christian and his family could do without." - I think "Could do without" is
fairly vague and often used as a punchline: "My mother-in-law is visiting.
That's something I could do without!" It doesn't seem sinister enough to me.

I agree with the previous comment about the answering machine; I think you
should state that the dialogue is coming from the answering machine on the
same line as the dialogue itself. It is a bit confusing as you have it
written. It almost seems at first glance that Christian typed the message on
his laptop.

I think you will need to add some dialogue tags. It is unclear who is
speaking the first line of dialogue when it follows a paragraph, e.g., ".the
blow that was no doubt coming.
"One of your brothers has met with an unfortunate...accident."
I know in this case it is pretty obvious who is speaking, but it won't
always be clear to the reader.

I look forward to reading more.

Neil