[stylist] question about philosophy

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 20 04:47:38 UTC 2010

Hey gang,

I have a question I would like to present to the list.  This was debated
tonight during my Chapter meeting, and I must admit, I am a bit upset.
Some implications were made about me and others of my Chapter, and I
wish to find out what others think.

Our Chapter participates in 3 to 4 Wal-mart meet and greets during the
year to raise funds and educate about the Federation.  Wal-mart (for
those who do not know) allows groups and organizations to set tables up
outside their entrances, and we are able to promote our cause/event, and
sell items if we choose.  Our chapter always, always has a product such
as candy bars or pop corn balls to sell along with NFB brochures.  Many
of us stand (not sit) interacting with the public, handing out
information as well as trying to sell whatever item we have for that
particular meet and greet.  Back in May we actually sold pink carnations
as it was right before Mother's Day, and in August we sold popcorn
balls, which were popular.  On our table are the brochures and a money
jar so we can put the money into it.  Some people choose to just donate
funds even though we will offer the product regardless.

Tonight, during my chapter meeting, a couple of members stated that
doing these events were against NFB philosophy.  They felt that by
having a "money jar" (even though we always have and sell a product) was
putting a bad image of blindness out there.  They implied that those who
have no problem with the money jar do not have a strong NFB philosophy.
It was suggested that donations of any kind are wrong, and we should not
take said donations because it gives people a negative image of
blindness.

I fail to see how the use of a "money jar" becomes the focal point of a
chapter event when we (the members) are interacting and conversing with
the public, selling a product and promoting the NFB and what we stand
for.  If we simply sat there asking for money, I could see the argument,
but this is not the case.  I am in fact against just standing on the
street and asking for money, but we have never done this.  To say that a
jar of money some how over shadows the fact that blind people are
socializing, handling and collecting money, moving about doing
everything by ourselves, just makes me livid that some would imply we
have a bad philosophy that goes against what the Federation believes.

I would like to see what others think.  I have internalized the opposing
argument, and I still feel the argument is silly.  I must admit that I
am tired of narrow conceptions of what we must look, sound and act like
in order to fit a certain image.  If getting off our asses and
interacting with society is wrong just because we use a jar as a vessel
to hold money, then go ahead and say I have a bad philosophy.

I really am interested to know what others think.

Bridgit P