[stylist] social networking and youth slam

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 21:02:18 UTC 2010

Peter,

This is my issue with web accessibility.  I don't know that everyone will
ever be able to agree on what it means to be accessible, because there are
varying levels of computer skills and screen reader features.  So far I must
say you are the only person I've seen complain about the accessibility of
the Pepsi Challenge project, which does not mean your complaint is
irrelevant.  It means there must surely be others who are experiencing
similar problems, but I have not yet heard a valid reason for why the
CAPTCHA feature is posing such a problem.  There are two services that help
blind users translate the CAPTCHA codes.  Even deaf and blind users can have
the text transmitted without bothering with the audio.  My point here is not
to turn your concerns away.  They are valid, but technology is changing.  To
me it sounds as though you are reluctant to change with it, and in the
meantime should we turn away from a free means of earning $250,000 just
because we want to prove a point?  If we don't take advantage of this
project while it lasts, someone else will, and would you actually argue that
those other projects are more important than the future potential of our
math and science enthusiasts?  These are, after all, the people on whom we
are relying to build that there car for blind folk.  For every minute you
spent writing your flurry of posts objecting the Pepsi project, you could
have been spending the time communicating with Pepsi.  You're the web
development guy who could have expertly conveyed to them what is needed.
I'm having difficulty feeling empathetic with you on this one.

Respectfully,

Joe