[stylist] reading other writers' work

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Wed Dec 29 18:27:59 UTC 2010

Building on what Lori said, I've even transcribed favorite chapters and
essays, which is a great way to study another's writing, their word choice,
how they mix up their sentence length and structure, etc... I think I've
found my writer's voice, so I don't worry about Raymond Carver or William
Styron entering my prose (it would stick out like a sore thumb). This can be
a great exercise to get you going if you find yourself in a writing slump.

Furthermore, editing others work is perhaps the best way for a writer to
learn self-editing, which can be hard when you are in love with your
'darlings'. It is easier to see other's mistakes, observe what you like and
don't like, and then apply the same reasoning to your own work.

chris