[stylist] reading other writers' work

KajunCutie926 at aol.com KajunCutie926 at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 01:35:32 UTC 2010

I have attended quite a number of workshops on writing, both of  poetry and
other genres, and the one thing said by every presenter at every  workshop
was .. READ!  In the poetry presentation emphasis was especially  put on
this.  For every poem you write, five or more should be read in  differing
genres, by different poets, and in differing styles.  If you  wrote mostly free
verse you should still read rhymed and structured  poetry.  If the latter
was your niche, read some free verse as well.   An attendee of the conference
asked why this was so important.  The answers  given were...
1. To broaden your understanding of poetry
2. To practice your editing skills (as one presenter kept  saying 'It
doesn't mean you're revising it but thinking instead of how YOU would  have
written it'
3. To learn more about the craft in general, how it has  evolved over the
years, and how subjective poetry can be, and to see that  another's words can
inspire your own
4. Finally... the help you as a writer discover your own  niche.

Yes I read poetry... but I also read novels, articles, essays,  and
whatever else I can get my hands on.  It has not only helped me to  become a better
writer (hopefully so anyway) but also to appreciate the  differences in
writing styles, the directions words will take you, and the  responsibility to
the words themselves.

I too think the idea of not reading others' work is foolish...

Myrna