[stylist] On Governor Patterson

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 06:30:47 UTC 2010

Hello all,

It has been a long time, but busy time of year.  Don't have much chances
to check in lately.

I don't know if many watch Saturday Night Live, but they consistently
made fun of Gov. Patterson during the Weekend Update segment, displaying
him as incompetant, for many reasons, one being blindness.  The actor
portraying him would walk aimlessly around set, use visual aids upside
down and other similar depictions.  At some point, the Federation tried
to contact the show to voice our concern.  After this, I noticed that
when making fun of him, they down played the blind factor or would have
the actor do something, but say it was just a joke.

At some point this year, while doing this skit, the real Gov. Patterson
came onto set and made his own jokes displaying how ridiculous their
stereotypes were.  SNL then allowed him to make a PR of sorts and talk
about the abilities of the blind.  It was actually a very positive
message.

It is disappointing that Gov. Patterson, for whatever reasons, has not
embraced any alternative methods other than adaptive technology.  It is
equally sad that many are trying to make him the role-model for why
skills like Braille are not necessary.  There are always exceptions, but
for most, without training in alternative skills, we do not have a great
chance at success.

My brother-in-law has RP and he is in his late thirties so his vision is
extremely poor, yet he refuses to even contemplate learning skills like
Braille.  Last year, he broke his leg while cleaning the backyard due to
a fallen tree limb he did not see.  When it was suggested he learn how
to use a long white cane, he would not hear it.  Instead of doing all he
can to continue to be a successful person, he clings to his denial.

I have seen this attitude and it is scary how many feel the same.  We
are our own worse enemy when we react like this.  We listened too long
to the lies about blindness that we now see them as truth.  Blindness is
what it is because of a perceived reality.  Perceptions can be changed,
but first we must admit that the current state of reality is merely a
perception and not concrete, unchangeable truth.

Bridgit P