[stylist] On Governor Patterson

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Thu Dec 30 13:40:16 UTC 2010

I'm listening to Gov Paterson being interviewed now.  His reasons for
failure as a politician have nothing to do with blindness.  Actually he
wasn't that bad as a Governor, he inherited a rotten situation.  His lack of
blindness skills goes back to his childhood and the way his disability was
handled.  His parents threw it under the bus and wanted their son to be
treated as if there was nothing wrong.  When you're dealing with a lifetime
of denial it's pretty hard to fight.  I still can't read Braille, and it's
not for lack of trying.  In my area I haven't found anyone who can teach me.
Hadley didn't work.  I don't agree with their teaching method or teacher who
insisted I couldn't learn it, but that's water under the dam.  Everyone
learns differently.  I'm not an idiot, but a Cum Laude college grad.  Back
to Patterson, he's going to have to do a lot for himself now.  While
Governor he always had a water boy.  He had a chauffer, secretaries to send
an email and another secretary to read his correspondence.  I wish him the
best.  Don't worry about SNL being called on the carpet for negatively
portraying the disabled.  As long as they get high ratings  picking on
people's weaknesses they will continue acting like disability bigots.  If
they stood in the public square acting out these inane skits they'd all be
in jail.  Go figure. Judith