[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 80, Issue 27

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 01:08:54 UTC 2010

Hi friends,

Myrna, the responsibility to the words. Yes, that's it exactly.

Bridget, SNL's mockery of Gov. Paterson was so egregious that it made
the mainstream news. At any rate, I heard about it a few months ago.
Friends who watch SNL confirmed that it was obnoxious. And I knew that
the governor himself finally did go on the show. I didn't realize though
that the Federation was instrumental in making that possible. Thanks for
mentioning that.

Everybody's different. What works for one person might not work for
another. I think we should be slow to condemn a person just because he
doesn't conform to our conception of how a blind person ought to behave.
As I said before, Gov. Paterson may have baggage that makes him
reluctant to embrace skills other than adaptive tech.

Similarly, it sounds like your brother-in-law is terrified. Denial and a
clinging to the status quo is, or seems like, a good refuge from fear
and the helplessness fear so often brings with it. Yes, he is acting in
a foolish, self-destructive way, but you can't force him to see reason.
I know how frustrating and painful it is to watch someone you love
behave self-destructively. But, there's really nothing you can do except
be there for the person to talk to if the fancy takes them, and pray for
them.

Judith, it surprises me about Hadley. The braille teacher I had there
was kind and helpful. In any case, of course you can learn to read; you
just need to find the right teacher and method. Is there any way I can
help? I'm not the most accomplished braille reader in the world but, I
donno, if you have materials maybe I could talk you through at least
learning the alphabet over the phone? There must be something.

Solidarity and Peace,

Kerry