[stylist] New Year's Invitation! Join The NFB Writers' Division

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Dec 31 16:37:57 UTC 2010

STYLIST Members

Hey you all! And specifically I'm targeting members of STYLIST who are now
not members of the NFB Writers' Division. First, thank you for joining
STYLIST. This mailing list is a free, anyone can join list and we all
benefit from what happens here. The list is just one of the features and/or
opportunities to learn and teach the craft of writing that our Division has
to offer. Below I will paste in the "rest of the story" of the benefits in
being a "paid" member of the Division. I put p a I d in quotes, because that
is how we get the majority of our funds to hold our writing contest, pay for
our Webmaster and presents on the WWW, and other costs of doing business.
Also, besides how we all gain from what we collectively bring to the mix,
there is that subtle - or not so subtle pride that comes in seeing the size
of the membership swell, with talent, resources and more!

*About Joining the Division

All writers are welcome to join the NFB Writers' Division. Though the
Division is primarily made up of blind/visually impaired writers, writing in
all genres, we also do have sighted members who have a particular interest
in blindness-related issues.

The purpose of this organization shall be to advance the interests and
expand the opportunities of blind writers, to share the spirit and
techniques of writing and publishing, and to promote the welfare of blind
persons through writing.

We have two mailing list for communicating on a daily basis. The main list
for writing related discussions is called STYLIST, there we will ask
questions and get advice on all phases of writing. The second list is called
Writers' Chat. It is for off topic types of discussions; getting into life
and philosophical types of things, which may lead up to writing. You can
join at the NFB web site called- www.nfbnet.org Once on that site, follow
the links to where you can join NFB mailing lists and on that page you can
choose the Writers' division's STYLIST or Writers' chat. It is easy both to
get on and to later get off.

Another great feature of the Division, is our web site. This is an "anytime"
resource where you can find much information about us, the NFB, writing and
more-  <http://www.nfb-writers-division.org/>
http://www.nfb-writers-division.org

Yet another great resource is our monthly telephone meetings. There we meet
and talk, getting to know one another, share knowledge about writing,
support one another and more. (You call into a long distance number and the
conference room is free.) Most months we have a guest speaker to talk and/or
teach us something about writing. We usually meet on the last Sunday of the
month. A notice goes out to members and to STYLIST as a reminder.

The Division also hosts an annual writing contest for poetry, for short
fiction and non-fiction. There is both a section for youth and adults. You
can read more about it on our web site (url above).

We also publish a quarterly magazine called, "SLATE & STYLE." Within its
pages, we feature poetry, short fiction and "how to do" articles about
writing. All members receive a copy in their choice of format (Braille,
print or Email).

Another great gathering of members for the purpose of learning about our
craft and for the conducting of Division business, is our annual division
workshop and Division meeting. These two events take place at the NFB's
national conventions. In 2011 convention will be held in Orlando, Florida.
The workshop is always interesting and dealing with writing; it can be a
guest speaker such as a publisher or published author or interactive lecture
on writing skills.

To join the Division, send a check or money order for $10.00 (U.S. currency)
to the NFB Writers' Division, 2704 Beach Drive, Merrick NY 11566. Or, a
second option is PayPal from our Division's Website. Include your name,
address, phone number, email address, and preferred format for Slate & Style
(Braille, print or email). The cost of the magazine is included in annual
dues, but donations are welcome.

Finally, please be informed, that with your membership to the Writers'
Division, that if you are not presently a member of a local chapter or state
affiliate, or another Division of the NFB, then by your membership with us,
you are now an official member of the NFB. This then makes you eligible to
receive a copy of the NFB's flag-ship magazine, "the Braille Monitor. And to
start receiving your monthly copy of the Monitor, inform me of what format
you wish to receive- Braille, print, Email or cassette.

Happy New Year and please come join us in the Writers' Division.

Robert Leslie Newman

President- NFB Writers' Division

Division Website

 <http://www.nfb-writers-division.org> http://www.nfb-writers-division.org