[stylist] writing prompt #2: from real life

James H. "Jim" Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Mon Feb 15 05:25:35 UTC 2010

Story prompt #2:
Write a story that includes the scene [below in article] in it.

of course feel free to be an author and add
details beyond the  newspaper story.
I have changed a few of the identifying details
but this was an actual story in my newspaper this weekend.

By the way I've already criticized the paper for
having a sentence ending with a preposition "took exception to."

Here it is, I think I had four different
scenarios go off in my head when I read this one!

------
Two Lawrence men were arrested after a family
altercation early Saturday morning

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl,
officers were dispatched to a residence in the
area about 11:45 p.m. Friday. An uncle and
nephew, 50 and 24 years old, living in the
residence had gotten involved in a verbal
altercation after the elder of the two made a
request the younger took exception to.

Hadl said the verbal altercation eventually came
to a challenge that the younger family member
agreed to take. The altercation became physical and the uncle
swung a bat at his nephew, though he didn't make
contact. The nephew punched his uncle in the face during the altercation.

Family members helped to break up the fight and
both the uncle and nephew were arrested.

The 50-year-old was arrested on charges of
aggravated assault for his role in the incident
and the 24-year-old was arrested on charges of domestic battery.