[stylist] Writing Prompt

Neil Butters neil.butters at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 15 18:12:10 UTC 2010

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this division and this list. I've enjoyed many of the discussions thus far, and the writing prompt intrigues me. What are the "rules" for this? Are the resulting stories sent to the mailing list for everyone to read, or is it just for personal enjoyment?

Maybe I can stimulate a little bit of discussion myself, based on the comment concerning ending sentences with prepositions. That rule, I think, is outdated. Many experts and teachers suggest that ending a sentence with a preposition is okay if the sentence could not be written any other way, or would lose/confuse the meaning if written in an alternate form. Does this make the article's sentence acceptable? I think it might.

Neil