[stylist] Writing Prompt

James H. "Jim" Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Tue Feb 16 02:53:32 UTC 2010

Neil,
welcome to our group!
I guess I'd be described as a hawk on  the sentence structure.
I don't think it is ever necessary to end a sentence with a
preposition.  I also think that it is not just an old rule but it is
a habit that forces the writer to be better organized in what he or
she writes.  In the case of the newspaper's sentence, it certainly
can be rewritten without ending in a preposition, and be clearer with
less pretentiousness in the statement.

500 words?  I must've tuned that out Lori, or it wasn't in the first prompt.
I figured my prompt would lead most to write a bit more than
500-words, especially because of the complexity of the scene I gave.
jc
Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS