[stylist] article from Debra Kendrick

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Tue Jan 26 15:40:39 UTC 2010

Patterson doesn't need newsline.  He has a radio, television and people in
his office who access websites whenever he wants.  He's the governor of a
state, but he has no idea on how to be an independent person.  He's not a
blind man, he's a man who has been coddled all his life and has had gophers
get him whatever he wants, whenever he wants it.  He probably can't figure
out why blind folks need different equipment, need instruction on simple
life tasks or need to read these dots called braille.  He never had to.  But
then again, most of us don't live in a privilaged world where gophers do
everything for us on command.