[stylist] Novel Outlines

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Jul 11 21:21:37 UTC 2010

Hi Joe,
Glad to hear you're having some forward progress. Mine is almost done,
and yesterday I had a major break-through and wrote the last chapter. I
knew what was supposed to happen, but not how I wanted to tell it and/or
not tell it. Inspiration is a wonderful thing when it finally hits!

As for outlines ... I didn't use an outline like you would use for a
term paper, but I did plan ahead and used a calendar, which I guess was
a sort of outline. I did a lot of off-paper thinking about the events
that happened prior to the beginning of the book, the character' lives
prior to the book, etc. and I kept notes -- on tape in those days --
about my thoughts, including my conflicts about going in different
directions and how that would impact other parts of the story. Everybody
has a past, and I wrote up back stories on the major and some of the
minor characters. That was very helpful in giving me an idea of how they
would respond to a given situation. Initially, I wrote out a broad
overview of what happened in the book. I did have a list of chapters,
which was helpful, but it has changed a bit.
HTH,
Donna

Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:
www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill
American Chronicle:
www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org