[stylist] Writing Prompt: Finding the Good in the Villian

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 18:33:57 UTC 2010

Chris,

I really liked your prompt writing. I could see where it is going, and
I think it has great potential.

A quick remark about my own writing. That short writing was based on
my own upbringing. Many of the details were the same as what happened
to me growing up. The re-giving of food until it ws eaten, the
coloured bowls were actually coloured plates and cups...the bowls were
all white growing up, but plates and cups were green for breakfast,
orange for lunch, blue for dinner, and paper towels or bowl for
snacks. My mother was a first-grade teacher, not a teacher in a
special education classroom, but she was very well loved by parents
and her classroom was known as the best integrated classroom, with as
many as 4 special needs in her class at a time along with the other
children. She was not abusive to my older sister like the sister in
the story, but she was to my younger brother (I guess I exchanged him
for the older sister, because I don't relate well to my brother, who
is bipolar and ws temporarily insane during the years after my
father's death when it was just me and him and my mother). So, I guess
I would rather write about the sister, because I relate better to my
older sister.

While my mother was not as physically abusive as Mrs. Landreneau in
the story (which the name, by the way, is based on my Cajun heritage),
she was very abusive emotionally and mentally, and she was sadistic,
finding great pleasure in seeing me hurt myself.

That prompt really helped me write about my childhood, and I think by
the time I'm ready to present it, I'll be able to share my memoir
without anonymity...I'm making great progress in that department with
my counselor and writing.

I would love to see more of your writing, Chris. That was very well
written, and I really could see the man on the bench and the cop. I
wanna read more about him!

~Jewel