[stylist] Writing Prompt: Finding the Good in the Villian

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Sat Jun 5 20:18:40 UTC 2010

Jewel,

Thank you. You'll see more of my writing in the future. This was just an
exercise to see if I could get you to see the homeless guy, the cop, and the
pretty girl as she ran by, and to make you feel for the poor homeless guy.

I'm sorry to hear your prompt response was based on your own life. Far too
many children have crappy parents. It's good that this prompt was cathartic
for you, as it seems your memoir is as well. In a longer work I think you
can do a better job of showing the complexity of your mother, so as readers
we aren't thinking--did this really happen? Rather, you want the reader to
see your mother's mental illness in its many manifestations, and feel for
the children.

chris