[stylist] Past Simple and Perfect Usage

Neil Butters neil.butters at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 8 19:12:55 UTC 2010

Hi Angela and Everybody,

>From a grammar book I use:

Past tense: I ate pizza last night.
Past perfect tense: I had eaten pizza just before you arrived.

And it continued rather unhelpfully:

If you think clearly about what you're trying to say, usually the choice of
verb tenses will be obvious.

But as I said in my question, I've seen flashback paragraphs in which both
the past simple and perfect seem to have been used interchangeably.

Neil