[stylist] Past Simple and Perfect Usage

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Jun 8 22:25:21 UTC 2010

Hi Angela,
The past and past perfect tenses give you a way of differentiating
between something that happened and something else that happened before
that point. "When I was six, we lived (past tense) in Palmer township.
We had moved (past perfect) there when I was three." I don't remember
specifically calling it "simple" though that's just as good a word as any.

If you are talking about the errands you did yesterday, you might say,
"I went to the store yesterday. I had already been to the doctor's."

There's also a future perfect tense to indicate a point in the future
when something is already in the past, "By next Tuesday, I will have
talked to several people about this."

And, of course, there is a present perfect, "I have taken care of that."
"I have talked to him about this." "He has been a member of NFB for ten
years." This is the one which confuses me the most. After all, it's
present tense but clearly all of the actions were at least initiated in
the past. The best way I can describe the connection here is that the
present perfect is used to suggest an ongoing state. It's easy to see it
in the sentence in which the man has been a member for ten years. The
other sentences present me with a bit more of a challenge to explain.
Think of the difference in these sentences: I took care of that
problem."  "I have taken care of that problem." " Both sentences are
correct and essentially have the same meaning. Saying it in the past
tense, however, has a sense of fait accompli. Using the present perfect
suggests to me that there is still a sense of basking in the
accomplishment. With the sentences "I have talked to him about that" and
it's simple past cousin "I talked to him about that," the first one
conjures up images of an ongoing frustration. "John is having problems
with Mark's drinking, and I have talked to Mark about that." It's like
the futility is still hanging in the air. If I say, "John is having
problems with Marks drinking, I talked to Mark about that," I get the
sense that the speaker has either washed their hands of the matter or
believes their talk made a difference.

These little nuances of meaning and inference -- my interpretation is
probably not the same as someone elses's -- are IMO what makes it so
challenging to communicate. When we talk face to face or on the phone,
our tone of voice, inflection and body language help sort out the
subtleties, but the written word stands without such helpers.

Perhaps someone else will weigh in on this.

In all three perfect tenses, some form of "to have" is used in
conjunction with the past participle of a verb.
HTH,
Donna

Donna's articles on Suite 101:
http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill

Free Download: "Love of My Life"
http://www.passionsandpossibilities.com/guest-blogger-donna-hill-advocate-for-the-blind/

Read my articles on American Chronicle:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Follow me on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill

Join Me on LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99

Or,  FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org