[stylist] Fw: Stephen Kearney was recently inducted into theUnited States Association of Blind athletes

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Wed Jun 9 13:26:24 UTC 2010

Great article.  Enjoy, JB
----- Original Message -----
From: Nancy Lynn
To: ACB List ; ccb list ; Mikes Mess List
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:52 AM
Subject: Stephen Kearney was recently inducted into theUnited States Association of Blind athletes

Stephen Kearney was recently inducted into the United States Association of Blind
Athletes Hall of Fame.
June 8, 2010
Longtime educator inducted into Blind Athletes Hall of Fame
By Kenton Brooks
Phoenix Sports Writer
- Stephen Kearney remembers being curious on that first day when he stepped onto
the campus for his first day to work at the Oklahoma School for the Blind in Muskogee.
"I always wondered where they kept the dogs," he said. "I wanted to know how a guide
dog works."
But there were no dogs for the children because of their blindness.
That day, though, started an association with blind athletes that lasted 38 years
until his retirement in 2009. Along the way, he' s traveled around the world to such
places such as Greece and China in coaching and working with these special athletes.
It also took him to the University of Delaware this past weekend to receive induction
into the United States Association of Blind Athletes Hall of Fame. He was the head
coach of the gold medal-winning goalball team in the 1984 Paralympics in New York.
The Paralympics, held once every four years and two weeks after the Olympics, are
multi-sport events for athletes with physical disabilities including blindness. Goalball
is a sport where three-member teams try to roll a ball equipped with bells into an
opposing team's net.
He's had other duties in working at the Paralympics. But coaching that 1984 goalball
team to a gold medal will always remain a highlight for Kearney.
No other men's team from USA has won gold in the sport since.
Oklahoma City native John Cutliff was on the six-member squad that also included
athletes from Missouri, Illinois, New Mexico, Kentucky and New Jersey.
"I picked the best guys from other teams," the 61-year-old Kearney recalled.
Kearney's team rallied from early losses and went through the loser's bracket to
beat Egypt for the gold medal in 1984.
"Because of the all effort we put in, it was exciting for the guys to accomplish
their goal," he said. "It was a great experience."
A Tuisa native, Kearney didn't need or have any special training or education to
work with blind athletes.
"My name was put in with 10 other people at the same time at the (Northeastern State
University) placement office," he said. "Our packets were sent to the (School for
the Blind) as they were looking to start the recreation program. I was the first
resume and V.R. Carter (then the superintendent of the school) called and wanted
to know if I wanted a job. I gave myself a half of the year.
"I was lucky to be the first on the list. I have no idea why I was. It was an opportunity
to do something positive and fun with kids who had disabilities. There wasn't the
stress these other coaches get into or how they move school to school. And 38 years
later, here I am."
Kearney learned about patience over those 38 years.
"If you've got vision, you can learn by sight but with these kids, you've got to
go through the motions and explain it to them," he said. "Once they get it, it's
a pretty neat accomplishment to see them being able to do things and react like anyone
else."
Kearney, who majored in physical education and business, eventually became the school's
wrestling coach.
"I didn't know I would go in this direction," he said. "If it hadn't been for the
School for the Blind, I wouldn't have been able to travel all over the world like
I have. It's been an unique deal, a fun deal. I just happened to be in the right
spot. The School for the Blind has been very good to me."