[stylist] Info on Sites

Neil Butters neil.butters at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 3 20:38:03 UTC 2010

Hi All,

"Useless" was a strong word to use to describe a blog. It was meant to
provoke a reaction. Mission accomplished. The usefulness of a blog will
depend on what you want to accomplish. Using a blog as a journal is great if
you want to reach only a select group of readers. Nothing wrong with that.
Besides, it is always good writing practice.

Let me clarify what I was saying. I think it is very unlikely a blog will
advance a writing career. Don't expect a blog to get hundreds of readers.
Don't expect to contact hundreds of people. Don't expect many comments.

As I mentioned, numerous factors contribute to the success of a blog.
Networking is only one, and I think its effectiveness is not guaranteed. You
also need to consider the popularity of the topic you are writing about,
frequency of updates, and ranking on search engines.

Neil