[stylist] publishing question

loristay loristay at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 20:02:19 UTC 2010

Lots of questions!
If your work appeared in a magazine and you were paid for it, it then belongs to the magazine.
If it appeared and you weren't paid for it then you can simply let them know you want to publish it elsewhere.  The magazine might ask you to put "Previously appeared in Slate & Style, March 1987" or whatever applied.
Work that appears in a vanity publication ought still to belong to you.  Did they copyright?  That is what you'd have to check.  Or perhaps the copyright belongs to you.  (Are you asking whether it belongs to you if YOU didn't pay money?  Of course it does.)  It's kind of a gray area, though.  In your shoes I'd contact the publisher and talk to him/her.
If you previously published something in a small press, but don't recall, then you need to do a search!  I suggest keeping a notebook of where you sent what, and who published it.
High school writing collections, college dorm papers and church newsletters are not generally copyrighted.  That work still belongs to you.
Lori