[stylist] Spell Check/ Jaws Anomalies

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Nov 7 17:18:32 UTC 2010

Hi All,
After Lori mentioned that my synopsis might have a period followed by a
comma, I was reminded of my ongoing efforts to understand MS Word's
Spell Check, as it relates to Jaws, and thought you might like to have
the results of a little experiment.

I have accidentally found similar problems after spell checking and am
trying to figure out what's going on. First, there are two major ways
this sort of error is caused. Obviously the period and comma are next to
each other and it is possible to hit them both at the same time. Also,
in editing, we move phrases around and sometimes forget to remove a
period which is no longer at the end of a sentence.

Then, there's the matter of divining how Spell Check is responding to
this and how the screen reader is reading or not reading Spell Check. I
did an experiment ending one sentence with a comma followed by a period
and another with it reversed. Jaws 11 with Word 2003 picked them up as
punctuation errors, but does not read them in such a way that you know
what's going on. In the second case, it didn't even say the word and I
had to tab to the suggestion list to find out what it was referring to
and what the suggested punctuation was. This is difficult when you have
complex sentences, but I'm plugging it in to always double-check every
punctuation mark in a sentence that comes up with a punctuation error.
Word's suggestions are not reliable. In the case of double punctuation
marks, it seems to pick the first one as its first suggestion. This was
true when a comma was followed by a period, even though the next
sentence started with a capital letter.

Another related matter surfaced when I started reading my book on
Booksense. There were a few paragraphs which did not have a final
period. I obviously missed them on Spell Check, and when Jaws read it,
the paragraph break made it sound like the sentence came to an end, so I
didn't pick it up there either. The Booksense, however, has a less
sophisticated document reader and made it sound like a run-on sentence,
so I now listen for that specifically. Ultimately, I suppose, there's no
substitute for someone sighted to double-check, but I want to make their
job as simple as possible. No one is going to pick up everything.
Donna

--
Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org

Database version: 6.16180