[stylist] punctuation

Marion Gwizdala, M.S. marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Tue Nov 9 16:23:37 UTC 2010

Jean,
    One very important step in submitting error-free work is to have someone
else give it a critical read. This is something most writers will do,
whether blind or not. An objective look can pick up spelling errors and
offer some grammatical input. I have a couple of people in my circle with
whom I exchange such servicess. They send me things to look over and I send
pieces to them. It's actually a pretty fun process, since each of us have
our different interests and styles. I learn a lot about the fields of
library science and private pilotting from reading my sister's work and she
and I have had some very deep philosophical discussions after she has read
one of my metaphysical or mental health articles. This list can be a great
resource, as well.
    I also find that I can usually pick up such mistakes as the ".," one
mentioned by Donna, as well as have a pretty good ear for spelling errors,
provided I don't put myself to sleep reading my own work! (grin) Now, when a
spelling error results in a homonym, JAWS doesn't pick that up and neither
does spell check, as it only checks for spelling, not appropriateness of the
words. We can also recognize habitual errors we make and, when proofing,
check for these errors. For instance, because I type at about 120 wpm, I
frequently miss the synchronization of the "Shift" key with the letter key;
therefore, when I proof my own work, I stop and check for capitals where
they should be.
    Another important reason for having someone else examine your work is to
help ensure you are communicating what you intend. You may know what you
want to say but may not say it! Sometimes we forget that not everyone else
has the grasp of the subject we have. The reason we are writing is because
we have a better grasp of the subject than others and a desire to share this
knowledge or perspective. An objective look can help accomplish the goal of
answering questions, rather than creating more! (smile) I know I have read
some pieces that left me scratching my head!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala