[stylist] punctuation

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 20:28:32 UTC 2010

Jean,

I only use the punctuation option with JAWS when editing.  It is way too
annoying for other purposes.  It is helpful, though, when trying to
catch those punctuation errors.

Again, using Braille allows you to catch all those errors just like
those using vision can, but if you are like me and do not own a
refreshable Braille device, we use JAWS.  As a student (especially a
creative writing student) I have to pay extra attention to spelling and
grammar.  With grammar, a lot of this comes with knowing and
understanding grammar rules so I try to study up on this for help.  I am
able, however, to use JAWS to try to catch those errors and such.  It
took a little adjustment, but I am now use to paying attention with my
ears to pick up on possible errors along with what tools JAWS has to
assist in this.  For papers, stories and as editor for my affiliate's
newsletter, I use JAWS, and usually I manage to catch what spelling and
grammar errors there are.  I don't always catch everything, but then
again, neither do those using their sight.

I am no expert, by any means, but I have managed to use JAWS to edit.
Again, sometime soon, I believe Robert plans on having a guest for our
monthly phone meeting who can help us discover tools for using JAWS when
editing.

My one piece of advice is that whether you use JAWS, Braille or sight,
pay careful attention as you write and proof read.  It may take time,
but it will be worth it in the end.

Bridgit

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.