[stylist] question about word usage

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Fri Oct 15 00:37:17 UTC 2010

Here is a section from my novel "The Letter."  I use the phrase "Totally spooked" and wonder if there is something more appropriate that I should be using.  Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks, Judith

On her way to the car Sheila thought about the little book with an inserted paper delivered a few months earlier by a strange man.  He had said, "Mrs. Hamilton, I'm a lawyer representing a family that perished in the holocaust.  This little packet containing a small book and paper were given to me to deliver to you for Jennifer Rabinowitz.  They are left by her parents.  It should be presented to her on her seventeenth birthday.  Please don't tell Jennifer or your husband about this meeting.  A good day to you."  The man left the house and she ran to the front window to watch him drive away.  But no car appeared on the driveway or street.  There was no man walking away from the house.  Totally spooked, she ran to her bedroom without looking at the little packet and placed it with other papers in her dresser.