[stylist] Songwriting

BDM lists at braddunsemusic.com
Tue Sep 7 17:32:51 UTC 2010

Marion,

I've seen  the chords written in that manner too yes. I never really
look at the charts of my tunes, in fact I don't even chart them
unless someone asks, at least not the current ones I play out these
days, maybe I'll regret that if I dig up some oldies  to play  and my
memory has exceeded its capacity :). . So if I chart them its usually
for a sighted co-writer or studio folks and I think the linear method
might be more confusing for them to pick off. Often times studio guys
will make notes along the cords to indicate staccatto, ring out, and
various accents which requires a little room. The two strains of
thought in songwriting  I heard when I first started was... "There
are no rules, just guidelines" and then the second thing I heard was,
"There are rules, but as long as you know that you're breaking one,
it might be  OK" :), it depends on the song really. I do think there
is software that will make a chart, though I've not had the desire to
look into that... more technology keeps me from doing what I love to do :).

Brad

At 11:22 AM 9/7/2010, you wrote:
> [...]
>>which is pretty standard in the indie world and even professionals
>>in Nashville. Not however if you are scoring out a piano piece  for
>>a recital or orchestral type thing to be played  note for note. I
>>couldn't tell you how to do that as I don't know Braile Music
>>Notation. One can, if knowledgeable in theory, can  score out
>>chords to match a melody like Beethoven did, or one can, like most
>>do, apply chords by "feel" to the melody.  I write 90% of the time
>>with an instrument starting with chords and melody and then go for
>>words based off the feel of the music.  I'll say on the other side
>>of the coin, that nearly all my co-writing has been done by
>>applying music and melody to words already written which sometimes
>>requier slight altering to  flush out consistency and etc. Words as
>>well, if you listen carefully when spoken in natural voice, have a
>>certain melody to them which can be used as well. It is both fun
>>and exploritory to just match a melody to certain chords and you'll
>>find it can generate different types of feeling or harmonies within
>>it. Just experiment some with it if you have a melody in your head.
>>If you can't sing and play at the same time, record your melody and
>>try to put chords to it when you play it back. There is no right or
>>wrong way, it is what works for you.
>>
>>There are many books and resources out there on songwriting. If you
>>go to my website at
>>
>>http://www.braddunsemusic.com
>>
>>Then click on the songwriting link, there's an html file with
>>various resources about songwriting.
>>
>>If you have any other questions just let me know. Glad to help anyway I can.
>>
>>Brad
>>

>>At 08:32 AM 9/7/2010, you wrote:
>>>Dear all,
>>>
>>>I'm glad Marion came out of the woodwork when he did.  I have a question he,
>>>and hopefully others, will be able to answer.  How does one get started with
>>>songwriting?  I play piano by ear as a hobby but have no idea how I could
>>>translate my own invented melodies to paper, nor how to make others hear my
>>>poetry in the melodies I've arranged in my head.  Does one need to know
>>>music notation to succeed at this?  Thanks for any help, and Priscilla, oh
>>>dear peer pressure that you are, I am working out some kinks in my novel
>>>before it is worthy of your reading.
>>>
>>>Best,
>>>
>>>Joe
>>>
>>>"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves,
>>>some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."--Sam Ewing

>>>for stylist:
>>>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/lists%40braddunsemusic.com
>>>

>>>__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
>>>signature database 5431 (20100907) __________
>>>
>>>The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
>>>
>>>http://www.eset.com
>>

>>Brad Dunse
>>
>>Instead of waiting out the storm, learn to dance in the rain

Brad Dunse

Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die

E Mail: brad at braddunsemusic.com