[stylist] The Name of the Wind

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 14:53:17 UTC 2010

Bridgit,

How dare you mention a book whose next installment has not yet been
published?  I finished it yesterday and give it a one thumb up with a second
one quivering, maybe a 9.5 on a 10-point scale?  I don't know that I fully
appreciated the book until I'd finished it.  The opening was rather
cumbersome.  The author did not create a strong sense of place that is so
strong in Rowling's Hogwarts, but then again, the story is part travelogue.
Adult version of Harry Potter?  I can't decide.  The Name of the Wind
touches on some pretty deep themes that Harry Potter did not quite
accomplish, but I wonder how much of this was owed to the author's intended
audience.  Excellent book, all in all, and I hope the next one comes out
soon.  If you enjoyed reading Stephen King's Wizard and Glass, you'll love
The Name of the Wind.

Regards,

Joe Orozco