[stylist] Assignment for tonight- my contribution

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Sep 26 12:24:37 UTC 2010

Here is what the assignment was to be: If you have a few lines or
paragraphs, you can send them to the rest of the group before the meeting on
Sunday night, as well as read to the others.  We will then discuss the
importance of style and voice in the memoir, as well as the importance of
finding a theme to hold the book or essay together.

--My paragraph follows:

"I use to believe I was a very lucky guy. Now I am not so sure. Though there
are many who would not agree that my blinding at age fifteen was at all
lucky, I feel that it was a good happening. And now that I have had a health
related life threatening experience, I find that I question my luck. And so
as I think and feel through my thoughts and write them down, I believe I
need to examine --- what is luck; what is life and death; who am I; who do I
want to be?"

Robert Leslie Newman

President- NFB Writers' Division

Division Website