[stylist] Being A Blind Writer

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Mon Aug 1 12:29:55 UTC 2011

Justin,

I enjoyed your article and think you should submit it to, Slate and Style,
the magazine of the NFB Writers Division. Your comment on not mentioning
that you're blind struck home with me, as I don't want to be known as the
blind writer, but rather, the great writer. In all the short stories I've
published, except for a few to magazines with blind or disabled audiences, I
never mention that I'm blind. When I was sending out agent queries for my
first novel, a former Redbook editor, who was kind enough to read and give
me feedback on the novel, recommended that I include that I'm blind in my
query letter. She said it made me unique, made me stick out. So, as a former
scientist, I did an experiment. In 50 query letters I mentioned my
blindness, and in 50 I didn't. In all I got 8 nibbles from agents (requests
to see more), four from the first set and four from the other. Go figure.

chris