[stylist] BLP: book review

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Sat Dec 3 15:27:14 UTC 2011

Here's a review I wrote about 5 years ago about a novel which remains one of
my favorites.

Jesus is Bangala!

By Chris Kuell

The last decade of my life has been filled with changes. Topping the list
are the birth of my daughter, the loss of my sight,   a kidney transplant
and my transformation from research chemist into fiction writer.

I became blind in 1997 from complications of diabetes. I lost my job, sank
into depression, then began the journey of rebuilding a new life as a blind
guy in a sighted world.

Like many people, after graduate school, starting a family and climbing the
lower rungs of the corporate ladder, I found I had little time or energy to
pursue reading as I once did. Blindness gave me the time and audio books
gave me the ability to read again. I began by listening to books on
philosophy and the holocaust, which helped me develop a better life
perspective. I also rekindled my love for a good story, catching up on
classic fiction I missed growing up, and giving friends and family a great
outlet when looking for gifts.

My wife gave me The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver, for Christmas
in 2000. It was newly out on tape, and I wasn't sure it merited the large
purchase price. A week later, I wanted to buy it for everyone I knew.

Kingsolver weaves an intricate tale that expertly delves into issues of
family, race and religion.
An arrogant Baptist preacher takes his wife and four daughters on a
missionary trip to the Belgian Congo in 1959. I read with fascination as the
family crumbled along with the Congolese government, and gained insight into
a time and place that is often misunderstood.

I am a fan of the character driven novel, and Kingsolver is a master at
unleashing the camera of the imagination. It had been years since I'd
encountered such vivid characters, all of whom fascinated me as they
struggled in their own ways to survive what life dealt them.

I watched as the loathsome preacher destroyed his family by refusing to
modify his Western ideas. Sympathized with Orleanna as she struggled between
the pull of her maternal instinct and role as good preacher's wife.
Kingsolver provides a brilliant depiction of the world of Adah, the twin who
suffered from hemiplegia. One side of her brain defective, she spoke little,
yet entertained profound thoughts, often in the form of palindromes. Leah
was caught up in trying to please her deteriorating father, and Rachel, the
tall blonde teenager who fascinated the natives, never saw much past her own
woes.

Recorded books can be great for insomnia, but I found myself listening late
into the night, unable to stop until the end of the chapter, then unable to
resist starting the next.

Although I can no longer physically see, great writing fills the screen of
my imagination. After finishing The Poisonwood Bible, I kept visualizing the
fire ants as they ate their way through the entire village. I heard the
crazy preacher as he proclaimed, "Jesus is Bangala!" mispronouncing the
Congolese word for Savior so it meant Poisonwood, a harsher African version
of poison Ivy. I felt angry at the needless corruption of a simple people as
careless governments played their games. Among the many details of the book,
one particular thought persisted--I'd love to be able to write like that.

In 2001, I began writing short stories. I'm also working on a novel and
devouring books by great writers to learn how they transform words into
characters who captivate us, and stories that make us feel deeply what it is
to be human.

My goal is to someday write stories such as the Poisonwood Bible, with well
fleshed out characters who illuminate us through breathtaking detail and
attention to the emotional world that we all inhabit in our minds. Stories
that don't shy away from difficult or even taboo issues. Stories that refuse
to let the reader go away unchanged.