[stylist] BLP: book review

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Mon Dec 5 04:18:32 UTC 2011

Chris,
Perhaps the reason you all don't get things is because I forget to paste
them in!
Here is the one for critiquing. I don't know if the format will come through
right.

36. Ben Lomond Poetry Award				Jacqueline Williams
								1431 W. 7th
Place
								Mesa, AZ
85201
								AZ State
Poetry Society

In the Mists of the Ruwenzories

Zed, the head man with his rock hyrax hat, weighed each porter's load-
seventeen pounds-by lifting it. It then went on a head, balanced by a hand.

The leader of ten porters, machete in hand, cleared mountain trails,
Zed in the rear, we made tracks fast through mats of bamboo, steaming dung.
Army ants climbed high on our boots, clamped to their death on the laces.
Elephants were near, distressed, moving through the menacing forests.

The elevation increased rapidly. A race for the bottom hut ensued.
My three well-trained British friends disappeared as I gasped for breath,
my face red and prickled with heat and sweat, but Zed at my back.
They had tea and "biscuits" waiting, along with plans for the next day.

At morning's light, with cameras, sleeping bags high on our backs,
we were led to the rushing river, a swinging bridge aloft with only
a ladder leading up to it-no rails or handles. Ropes guided us above
the gorge with slats nailed from the underside. I wished for Tarzan.

The second hut held "debbies" of cement to prop against the doors
to keep the leopards out on night forays for tasty hyrax. We quickly
bathed in the river we would have to ford the next morning-balanced
on rocks, steadied by poles in rushing water up to our frozen armpits.

At the next to the last hut, exhausted we prepped to cross the impossible
bog.
For over a mile we jumped from one tussock to another striving to keep
our balance-avoid the sucking mud. Finally at a bubbling, sulphurous pool,
spirits warned our porters to stay in a huge rock cave. Safe. From what?

High altitude pneumonia. At the top hut we carefully dried our night
clothes,
sleeping bags, before the frigid night descended. The others climbed while
I fed a walnut brown satin rat leftovers from a tin of tuna. That night
soft feet traversed our uneasy sleep. Morning-my knees worked-barely.

With ropes, we clambered up past glacier vistas, approached the Speke
Glacier,
converged at the top where mists cleared just long enough for us to see the
lake-
the pearl of water far down in the distance in the old Congo. Then a rush-
descent. My feet slipped off tussocks causing massive efforts to pull them
free.

(stanza break)
In the next highest hut, I balanced on my right foot to pull off my muddy
pants.
To me, a pistol shot sounded- A bone in my foot-disbelief by all. With no
plan,
Tim laced my boot on tight. In the morning it acted as a splint because of
swelling.
I refused to be carried across the swinging bridge. Zed and Tim stuck with
me.

Phil raced to base camp for reinforcements- Paddy and the spindly little
porters-
to the bottom hut. Pain. In a sling, tied to a pole like a tiger, a potato
sack holding
my bum high, Zed, in front, quivering arms, snaked through rocks, down steep
trails often with my head first. A crowd moved to one side of a shed to
allow my privacy.

Instant fame accompanied by dancing, much laughter and ululating, proclaimed
to all,
Memsahib climbed the Mountains of the Moon and broke her foot changing her
knickers.