[stylist] Slate & Style question about subscriptions

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Dec 6 13:56:15 UTC 2011

Anyone interested:

First- to be on STYLIST, you do not need to be a member of the NFB, nor the
NFB Writers' Division

Second- We within the Writers' Division sure would like and appreciate that
you do join the Division (we can always use the support) --- and yes, you'd
then receive a copy of "Slate & Style"

Third- Yes, we've had non-members pay to receive "Slate & Style" (they ---
as far as I can remember were non-people, but Libraries and centers for the
blind and like that

Fourth- MMM, this is it for the major points on this --- thanks for being on
STYLIST, the discussion is good! (If you are not a member, join us! Below is
the short "benefit document" that I often send out.)

*About Joining the Division

All writers are welcome to join the NFB Writers' Division. Though the
Division is primarily made up of blind/visually impaired writers, writing in
all genres, we also do have sighted members who have a particular interest
in blindness-related issues.

The purpose of this organization shall be to advance the interests and
expand the opportunities of blind writers, to share the spirit and
techniques of writing and publishing, and to promote the welfare of blind
persons through writing.

We have two mailing lists for communicating on a daily basis. The main list
for writing related discussions is called STYLIST. Member's posts will ask
questions and get advice on all phases of writing. The second list is called
Writers' Chat. It is for off topic types of discussions; getting into life
and philosophical types of things, which may lead up to writing. You can
join at the NFB web site called- www.nfbnet.org Once on that site, follow
the links to where you can join NFB mailing lists and on that page you can
choose the Writers' division's STYLIST or Writers' chat. It is easy both to
get on and to later get off.

Another great feature of the Division is our web site. This is an "anytime"
resource where you can find much information about us, the NFB, writing and
more- http://www.nfb-writers-division.org

Yet another great resource is our monthly telephone meetings. There we meet
and talk, getting to know one another, share knowledge about writing,
support one another and more. (You call into a long distance number and the
conference room is free.) Most months we have a guest speaker to talk and/or
teach us something about writing. We usually meet on the last Sunday of the
month. A notice goes out to members and to STYLIST as a reminder.

The Division also hosts an annual writing contest for poetry, short fiction
and for creative non-fiction. There is both a section for youth and adults.
You can read more about it on our web site (url above).

We also publish a quarterly magazine called, "SLATE & STYLE." Within its
pages we feature poetry, short stories and "how to do" articles about
writing. All members receive a copy in their choice of format (Braille,
print or Email).

Another great gathering of members for the purpose of learning about our
craft and for the conducting of Division business is our annual workshop and
business meeting. These two events take place at the NFB's national
conventions. In 2012 convention will be held in Dallas, Texas. The workshop
is always interesting and dealing with writing; it can be a guest speaker
such as a publisher or published author or interactive lecture on writing
skills.

To join the Division, send a check or money order for $10.00 (U.S. currency)
made out to the --- NFB Writers' Division, and send it to our membership
chair, Lori Stayer, 2704 Beach Drive, Merrick NY 11566. Or, a second option
is PayPal from our Division's Website. Include your name, address, phone
number, email address, and preferred format for Slate & Style (Braille,
print or email). The cost of the magazine is included in annual dues, but
donations are welcome.

Finally, please be informed, that with your membership to the Writers'
Division, that if you are not presently a member of a local chapter or state
affiliate, or another Division of the NFB, then by your membership with us,
you are now an official member of the NFB. This then makes you eligible to
receive a copy of the NFB's flag-ship magazine, "the Braille Monitor. And to
start receiving your monthly copy of the Monitor, just let me know what
format you wish to receive- Braille, print, Email or thumb drive.

Robert Leslie Newman
President, Omaha Chapter NFB
President, NFB Writers' Division
Division Website