[stylist] writing exercise

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 14:29:03 UTC 2011

Okay, since there seems to be a spark of interest, let's give this a try.
Your assignment is to write a poem, essay, story, song, grocery
list--whatever form you choose, that has the open-ended theme of
Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza/ Winter Solstice--whichever holiday works for you.
It can be happy, sad, personal, disenchanted--just let the topic stew in
your brain for a few days and see what surfaces. If that is too generic for
you, choice B is to write something about the best/worst Christmas ever.
Don't sweat it, this isn't a competition, it's an attempt to get those
creative juices flowing and to get people writing.
Post what you have written on or before December 30th. Please read and
comment on others posts, asking yourself what you liked about the post, what
in the post didn't work for you, and why? What suggestions do you have to
make the piece better? Please don't make your comments personal, and
remember that writing is different from content. For example, if I write a
story about a guy poisoning his entire family on Christmas morning, telling
me that it was a horrible story doesn't help my writing. Perhaps my writing
was excellent, and that was why you were so horrified by my story--see what
I mean? Put on your editor's hat and analyze the writing itself.

Okay, start your engines...
Go!

chris